Current:Home > FinanceJohnson & Johnson offers to pay $6.5 billion to settle talc ovarian cancer lawsuits -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Johnson & Johnson offers to pay $6.5 billion to settle talc ovarian cancer lawsuits
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:25:34
Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it has offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle allegations that its talc products caused cancer, a key step in the pharmaceutical giant potentially resolving decades of litigation over what was once one of the most widely used consumer products in the U.S.
The proposal is aimed at ending a protracted legal battle stemming from thousands of lawsuits that accused J&J of selling products that allegedly led women to develop ovarian cancer, in some cases causing their death.
J&J maintains that its talc products are safe. But the company stopped selling talc-based items in 2020, and two years later announced plans to cease sales of the product worldwide.
The company said the proposal would settle 99.75% of the pending talc lawsuits in the U.S. The legal actions not covered by the proposal relate to mesothelioma, a rare cancer that affects the lungs and other organs. The company said it would address those suits outside the proposed settlement.
"The Plan is the culmination of our consensual resolution strategy that we announced last October," Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for J&J, said in a statement Wednesday. "Since then, the Company has worked with counsel representing the overwhelming majority of talc claimants to bring this litigation to a close, which we expect to do through this plan."
Johnson & Johnson made its settlement offer as part of a bankruptcy reorganization plan for a subsidiary, LLT Management, that J&J said would give ovarian claimants three months to vote for or against the plan.
While the majority of law firms support the plan, attorneys for some plaintiffs dismissed the settlement offer, saying "would cheat victims legitimately harmed by talc."
"We believe any bankruptcy based on this solicitation and vote will be found fraudulent and filed in bad faith under the Bankruptcy Code," Andy Birchfield, head of the Mass Torts Section at the Beasley Allen Law Firm, said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. "On behalf of our clients who deserve better, we are blowing the whistle on this cynical legal tactic and will resist it at every turn."
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
Megan Cerullo is a New York-based reporter for CBS MoneyWatch covering small business, workplace, health care, consumer spending and personal finance topics. She regularly appears on CBS News 24/7 to discuss her reporting.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- What's next for 3-time AL MVP Mike Trout after latest injury setback?
- Exclusive: Tennis star Coco Gauff opens up on what her Olympic debut at Paris Games means
- Senate committee votes to investigate Steward Health Care bankruptcy and subpoena its CEO
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Massachusetts governor signs bill cracking down on hard-to-trace ‘ghost guns’
- Nebraska Legislature convenes for a special session to ease property taxes, but with no solid plan
- Hurry! Shop Wayfair’s Black Friday in July Doorbuster Deals: Save Up to 80% on Bedding, Appliances & More
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Meta’s Oversight Board says deepfake policies need update and response to explicit image fell short
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Why Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman hope 'Deadpool & Wolverine' is a 'fastball of joy'
- Inside Christian McCaffrey’s Winning Formula: Motivation, Focus & Recovery
- Wayne Brady Shares He Privately Welcomed a Son With His Ex-Girlfriend
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Small stocks are about to take over? Wall Street has heard that before.
- Texas city strips funding for monthly art event over drag show
- Powerball winning numbers for July 24 drawing: Jackpot at $114 million
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Cindy Crawford Weighs in on Austin Butler’s Elvis Accent
What is WADA, why is the FBI investigating it and why is it feuding with US anti-doping officials?
Yuval Sharon’s contract as Detroit Opera artistic director extended 3 years through 2027-28 season
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Aaron Boone, Yankees' frustration mounts after Subway Series sweep by Mets
Ralph Lauren unites U.S. Olympic team with custom outfits
Yuval Sharon’s contract as Detroit Opera artistic director extended 3 years through 2027-28 season