Current:Home > InvestFastexy:NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Fastexy:NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:23:50
DAYTONA BEACH,Fastexy Fla. (AP) — NASCAR driver Ryan Preece, whose car rolled about a dozen times during a terrifying crash at Daytona International Speedway, was on his way home about 12 hours later after being discharged from a hospital Sunday.
Stewart-Haas Racing said Preece was headed back to North Carolina after getting clearance from doctors at Halifax Health Medical Center. The team earlier said Preece was “awake, alert and mobile” and “had been communicating with family and friends.”
The 32-year-old Preece was able to climb out of his mangled No. 41 Ford on Saturday night with help before emergency workers put him on a gurney and into an ambulance. He initially went to the track’s infield care center before being transported to Halifax Health for overnight observation.
Preece tweeted about two hours after the race, posting: “If you want to be a race car driver, you better be tough. ... I’m coming back.”
Preece and SHR teammate Chase Briscoe made contact coming out of Turn 4, and Preece’s car turned hard left and then went into an uncontrollable barrel roll as soon as it slid from the asphalt to the infield grass. The car came to a halt on all four tires, with some minor damage to the roll cage.
Preece being able to climb out with help was a testament to NASCAR’s Next Gen car, which is considered the safest iteration in its 75-year history.
The car was roundly criticized following its debut in 2022 because rear-impact collisions wreaked havoc on drivers. Kurt Busch of 23XI Racing suffered a life-changing concussion during a qualifying crash at Pocono Raceway last summer, and Hendrick Motorsports driver Alex Bowman missed five races because of a concussion.
Multiple other drivers complained about the violence felt during what they considered routine hits and wondered if they too had suffered head trauma.
NASCAR spent much of last year and the offseason testing and tweaking its car to try to limit the G-forces delivered to drivers. The changes were welcomed, resulting in considerably fewer missed races and no reported concussions in 2023.
Busch, meanwhile, has yet to return to racing and formally retired from the Cup Series Saturday at Daytona. The 45-year-old Busch held back tears as he called it quits, saying his “body is just having a battle with Father Time.”
Busch added that he’s dealt with arthritis and gout while trying to shake lingering effects of a brain injury that rocked stock car racing a year ago.
Preece’s accident harkened memories of Ryan Newman’s harrowing wreck in the 2020 Daytona 500. Newman was able to walk out of the hospital days later, another testament to NASCAR safety improvements made since Dale Earnhardt’s death on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (4589)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Texas sues doctor and accuses her of violating ban on gender-affirming care
- Diablo and Santa Ana winds are to descend on California and raise wildfire risk
- 'Dune: Prophecy' cast, producers reveal how the HBO series expands on the films
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Zayn Malik Shares What He Regrets Not Telling Liam Payne Before Death
- Trump is consistently inconsistent on abortion and reproductive rights
- New Jersey internet gambling revenue set new record in Sept. at $208 million
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Florida digs out of mountains of sand swept in by back-to-back hurricanes
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Murder trial to begin in small Indiana town in 2017 killings of two teenage girls
- The sun is now in its solar maximum, meaning more aurora activity
- Homeland Security grants temporary status to Lebanese already in the United States
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Midwest chicken farmers struggle to feed flocks after sudden closure of processor
- Dennis Eckersley’s daughter gets suspended sentence in baby abandonment case
- Canadian former Olympic snowboarder wanted in US drug trafficking case
Recommendation
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Uphill battles that put abortion rights on ballots are unlikely to end even if the measures pass
BOC (Beautiful Ocean Coin) Grand Debut! IEO Launching Soon, A Revolutionary Blockchain Solution for Ocean Conservation
We Are Ranking All of Zac Efron's Movies—You Can Bet On Having Feelings About It
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Appalachian Hydrogen Hub Plan Struggles Amid Economic Worries, Study Says
Onetime art adviser to actor Leonardo DiCaprio, among others, pleads guilty in $6.5 million fraud
Woman dies 2 days after co-worker shot her at Santa Monica College, police say