Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Fastexy Exchange|Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:25:33
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former Syrian military official who oversaw a prison where alleged human rights abuses took place has been charged with several counts of torture after being arrested in Julyfor visa fraud charges,Fastexy Exchange authorities said Thursday.
Samir Ousman al-Sheikh, who oversaw Syria’s infamous Adra Prison from 2005 to 2008 under recently oustedPresident Bashar Assad, was charged by a federal grand jury with several counts of torture and conspiracy to commit torture.
“It’s a huge step toward justice,” said Mouaz Moustafa, executive director of the U.S.-based Syrian Emergency Task Force. “Samir Ousman al-Sheikh’s trial will reiterate that the United States will not allow war criminals to come and live in the United States without accountability, even if their victims were not U.S. citizens.”
Federal officials detained the 72-year-old in July at Los Angeles International Airport on charges of immigration fraud, specifically that he denied on his U.S. visa and citizenship applications that he had ever persecuted anyone in Syria, according to a criminal complaint. He had purchased a one-way plane ticket to depart LAX on July 10, en route to Beirut, Lebanon.
Human rights groups and United Nations officials have accused the Syrian governmentof widespread abuses in its detention facilities, including torture and arbitrary detention of thousands of people, in many cases without informing their families.
The government fell to a sudden rebel offensive last Sunday, putting an end to the 50-year rule of the Assad family and sending the former president fleeing to Russia. Insurgents have freed tens of thousands of prisonersfrom facilities in multiple cities since then.
In his role as the head of Adra Prison, al-Sheikh allegedly ordered subordinates to inflict and was directly involved in inflicting severe physical and mental pain on prisoners.
He ordered prisoners to the “Punishment Wing,” where they were beaten while suspended from the ceiling with their arms extended and were subjected to a device that folded their bodies in half at the waist, sometimes resulting in fractured spines, according to federal officials.
“Our client vehemently denies these politically motivated and false accusations,” his lawyer, Nina Marino, said in an emailed statement.
Marino called the case a “misguided use” of government resources by the U.S. Justice Department for the “prosecution of a foreign national for alleged crimes that occurred in a foreign country against non-American citizens.”
U.S. authorities accused two Syrian officials of running a prison and torture center at the Mezzeh air force base in the capital of Damascus in an indictment unsealed Monday. Victims included Syrians, Americans and dual citizens, including 26-year-old American aid worker Layla Shweikani, according to prosecutors and the Syrian Emergency Task Force.
Federal prosecutors said they had issued arrest warrants for the two officials, who remain at large.
In May, a French court sentenced three high-ranking Syrian officialsin absentia to life in prison for complicity in war crimes in a largely symbolic but landmark case against Assad’s regimeand the first such case in Europe.
Al-Sheikh began his career working police command posts before transferring to Syria’s state security apparatus, which focused on countering political dissent, officials said. He later became head of Adra Prison and brigadier general in 2005. In 2011, he was appointed governor of Deir ez-Zour, a region northeast of the Syrian capital of Damascus, where there were violent crackdowns against protesters.
The indictment alleges that al-Sheikh immigrated to the U.S. in 2020 and applied for citizenship in 2023.
If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison for the conspiracy to commit torture charge and each of the three torture charges, plus a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison for each of the two immigration fraud charges.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (257)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Patrick Schwarzenegger's Birthday Message to Fiancée Abby Champion Will Warm Your Heart
- Bill allowing permitless concealed carry in Louisiana heads to the governor’s desk for signature
- West Virginia House OKs bill doctors say would eliminate care for most at-risk transgender youth
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- What the data reveal about U.S. labor unrest
- Social media influencer says Dolphins’ Tyreek Hill broke her leg during football drill at his home
- What is IVF? Explaining the procedure in Alabama's controversial Supreme Court ruling.
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- In modern cake decoration, more is more. There's a life lesson hidden just beneath the frosting
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Ryan Gosling performing Oscar-nominated song I'm Just Ken from Barbie at 2024 Academy Awards
- Starbucks, Workers United union agree to start collective bargaining, contract discussions
- Are NBA teams taking too many 3-pointers? Yes, according to two Syracuse professors
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Starbucks, Workers United union agree to start collective bargaining, contract discussions
- Hunter Schafer arrested during protest for ceasefire, Jewish Voice for Peace says
- Liam Gallagher says he's 'done more' than fellow 2024 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Prince William and Camilla are doing fine amid King Charles' absence, experts say. Is it sustainable?
Missouri lawmakers try again to block Medicaid money from going to Planned Parenthood
It's Horse Girl Spring: Here's How to Ride the Coastal Cowgirl Trend That's Back & Better Than Ever
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Electronic Arts cutting about 5% of workforce with layoffs ongoing in gaming and tech sector
Stacy Wakefield dies less than 5 months after her husband, World Series champion Tim Wakefield
Ranking NWSL Nike kits: Every team gets new design for first time