Current:Home > reviewsCongo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:40:14
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Congo’s security forces and rebel groups have agreed on a 72-hour cease-fire to de-escalate tensions in the country’s eastern region near the border with Rwanda, the White House announced just days before Congo’s presidential election.
The agreement was backed by both Congo and Rwanda, Adrienne Watson, a spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said in a statement Monday.
It said the agreement includes the withdrawal of forces occupying the locality of Mushaki and the RP1030 road in eastern Congo. The region has struggled with violent conflict for decades and armed groups fight either for control of mineral resources or to defend their communities. The most prominent is the M23 rebel group with links to Rwanda.
Neither Congo nor Rwanda has publicly commented on the cease-fire, which the White House said would also help “advance the implementation of the confidence-building measures to protect civilians” as Congo prepares for the Dec. 20 presidential election.
“The U.S. Government will use its intelligence and diplomatic resources to monitor the activities by armed forces and non-state armed groups during the cease-fire,” the statement added.
M23 rose to prominence 10 years ago when its fighters seized Goma, eastern Congo’s largest city on the border with Rwanda. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi has often blamed Rwanda for destabilizing Congo by backing the rebels. U.N. experts have linked the rebels to Rwandan forces, but Rwanda denies it.
Tshisekedi, who seeks reelection as he faces several other candidates, had earlier said rebel-controlled territories might not participate in the vote for security reasons.
The top United Nations official in Congo warned on Monday that tensions between Congo and Rwanda have escalated, heightening the risk of a military confrontation. Congo’s government also insists on the withdrawal of U.N. and regional peacekeeping forces from the region, saying they’re ineffective, and some have started to leave the country.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- 1 dead, at least 6 injured in post-election unrest in the Indian Ocean island nation of Comoros
- Trump's comments about E. Jean Carroll caused up to $12.1 million in reputational damage, expert tells jury
- El Paso Challenges Oil Refinery Permit
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Mexican president calls on civilians not to support drug cartels despite any pressure
- Sports Illustrated planning significant layoffs after license to use its brand name was revoked
- An ally of Slovakia’s populist prime minister is preparing a run for president
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Microsoft says state-backed Russian hackers accessed emails of senior leadership team members
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Dior puts on a daytime fashion ballet under the Parisian stars
- Former Republican legislative candidate pleads guilty to role in the US Capitol riot
- East and West coasts prepare for new rounds of snow and ice as deadly storms pound US
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Police reports and video released of campus officer kneeling on teen near Las Vegas high school
- Spirit Airlines shares lose altitude after judge blocks its purchase by JetBlue
- Small plane that crashed off California coast was among a growing number of home-built aircraft
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
3M to pay $253 million to veterans in lawsuit settlement over earplugs and hearing loss
Nearly 75% of the U.S. could experience a damaging earthquake in the next 100 years, new USGS map shows
Wayfair cuts 13% of employees after CEO says it went overboard in hiring
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Patrick Mahomes’ Dad Pat Gushes Over “Down to Earth” Taylor Swift
Without handshakes, Ukrainian players trying to keep message alive at Australian Open