Current:Home > MyMany eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Many eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 06:29:31
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A massive spike in applications to North Carolina’s school voucher program means most higher-income families won’t receive financial help for the coming year even though the General Assembly did away with income caps on the program. There simply isn’t enough money to accommodate a six-fold increase to 72,000 new applicants this year, all seeking subsidies to send their children to private K-12 schools through the Opportunity Scholarship program, according to reporting by the The News & Observer of Raleigh and WRAL-TV.
Lawmakers in 2023 also opened first-time grants to current private school students.
State law requires the program to first offer scholarships to existing voucher holders. More than 32,500 students received them this year. Next come the lowest-income applicants -- for example, a family of four that makes a maximum $57,720. Families earning up to twice that amount are prioritized in the next group.
The authority said it awarded new vouchers for the maximum amount of $7,468 per child to over 13,500 applicants from the lowest-income tier, according to the media reports. Applicants must decide by April 19 whether to accept the award.
Based on the numbers so far, only some applicants in the next tier will receive scholarships, the authority said. Those applicants are eligible for $6,722 per child. How many will get an award depends on how many applicants from the lowest income bracket accept their offers.
There is no money available for higher income groups — like families of four making over $115,440 annually — the authority said.
Lawmakers provided $293.5 million for the program for the 2024-25 school year, The News & Observer reported. The current state budget envisions transferring more public money to scholarship funds over the next decade, reaching over $500 million annually by fall 2031.
It’s still possible for the General Assembly to increase next year’s voucher funding to assist more students. The budget-adjustment session begins April 24.
Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, a longtime critic of the scholarships, has called for a moratorium on expanding the program until he says public schools are fully funded. Republicans hold narrow veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate.
veryGood! (11)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Internet gambling and sports betting set new records in New Jersey
- Love him or hate him, an NFL legend is on his way out. Enjoy Al Michaels while you can.
- New Mexico names new Indian Affairs secretary amid criticism
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Derek Hough Shares Video Update on Wife Hayley Erbert After Life-Threatening Skull Surgery
- What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and listening
- Cambodia welcomes the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s plan to return looted antiquities
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Ben Napier still courts wife Erin: 'I wake up and I want her to fall in love with me'
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Man in central Illinois killed three people and wounded another before killing self, authorities say
- Will cars in the future be equipped with devices to prevent drunk driving? What we know.
- Prince Harry wins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- North Carolina high court says a gun-related crime can happen in any public space, not just highway
- Donald Trump says LIV Golf is headed back to his Doral course in April
- The title of Bill Maher’s new book promises “What This Comedian Said Will Shock You”
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Australian mother Kathleen Folbigg's 20-year-old convictions for killing her 4 kids overturned
NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what didn’t happen this week
Airbnb agrees to pay $621 million to settle a tax dispute in Italy
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Cold case now a murder investigation after body found in Texas lake 37 years ago identified
Offshore wind farm projects face major hurdles amid tough economic climate
You'll still believe a man can fly when you see Christopher Reeve soar in 'Superman'