Current:Home > InvestBaltimore shipping channel fully reopens after bridge collapse -Trailblazer Capital Learning
Baltimore shipping channel fully reopens after bridge collapse
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 06:29:30
BALTIMORE (AP) — The main shipping channel into Baltimore’s port has fully reopened to its original depth and width following the March 26 collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which blocked most maritime traffic into the harbor.
Officials announced the full reopening in a news release Monday evening. It comes after a massive cleanup effort as crews removed an estimated 50,000 tons of steel and concrete from the Patapsco River.
The channel was blocked by wreckage of the fallen bridge, which collapsed after a container ship lost power and crashed into one of its supporting columns, sending six members of a roadwork crew plunging to their deaths. All of the victims were Latino immigrants working an overnight shift to fill potholes on the bridge.
The Port of Baltimore, which processes more cars and farm equipment than any other in the country, was effectively closed for several weeks while the wreckage was removed. Crews were able to reopen portions of the deep-draft channel in phases, restoring some commercial traffic in recent weeks.
On May 20, the wayward cargo ship Dali was refloated and guided back to port. The vessel had been stuck amid the wreckage for almost two months, with a massive steel truss draped across its damaged bow.
After the Dali was moved, crews opened a channel that was 50 feet (15 meters) deep and 400 feet (122 meters) wide. The full federal shipping channel is 700 feet (213 meters) wide, which means two-way traffic can resume, officials said. They said other additional safety requirements have also been lifted because of the increased width.
Thousands of longshoremen, truckers and small business owners have seen their jobs impacted by the collapse, prompting local and state officials to prioritize reopening the port and restoring its traffic to normal capacity in hopes of easing the economic ripple effects.
The announcement Monday means the commerce that depends on the busy port can begin ramping back up.
Officials said a total of 56 federal, state and local agencies participated in the salvage operations, including about 500 specialists from around the world who operated a fleet of 18 barges, 22 tugboats, 13 floating cranes, 10 excavators and four survey boats.
“I cannot overstate how proud I am of our team,” said Col. Estee Pinchasin, Baltimore district commander for the Army Corps of Engineers. “It was incredible seeing so many people from different parts of our government, from around our country and all over the world, come together in the Unified Command and accomplish so much in this amount of time.”
In a statement Monday, Pinchasin also acknowledged the loss of the victims’ families.
“Not a day went by that we didn’t think about all of them, and that kept us going,” she said.
The Dali lost power shortly after leaving Baltimore for Sri Lanka in the early hours of March 26. A National Transportation Safety Board investigation found it experienced power outages before starting its voyage, but the exact causes of the electrical issues have yet to be determined. The FBI is also conducting a criminal investigation into the circumstances leading up to the collapse.
Officials have said they hope to rebuild the bridge by 2028.
veryGood! (8276)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Hundreds of ready-to-eat foods are recalled over possible listeria contamination
- Inside Clean Energy: Rooftop Solar Could Lose Big in Federal Regulatory Case
- Shoppers Say This Tula Eye Cream Is “Magic in a Bottle”: Don’t Miss This 2 for the Price of 1 Deal
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- More details emerge about suspect accused of fatally shooting Tennessee surgeon in exam room
- Hollywood goes on strike as actors join writers on picket lines, citing existential threat to profession
- How Asia's ex-richest man lost nearly $50 billion in just over a week
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Florida’s Majestic Manatees Are Starving to Death
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- 15 Products to Keep Your Pets Safe & Cool This Summer
- We're Drunk in Love With Beyoncé and Jay-Z's Rare Date Night in Paris
- Everything You Need To Know About That $3 Magic Shaving Powder You’re Seeing All Over TikTok
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- TikTok officials go on a public charm offensive amid a stalemate in Biden White House
- Heading for a Second Term, Fed Chair Jerome Powell Bucks a Global Trend on Climate Change
- U.S. employers added 517,000 jobs last month. It's a surprisingly strong number
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
The Senate’s New Point Man on Climate Has Been the Democrats’ Most Fossil Fuel-Friendly Senator
Man accused of trying to stab flight attendant, open door mid-flight deemed not competent to stand trial, judge rules
Beyoncé's Renaissance tour is Ticketmaster's next big test. Fans are already stressed
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
SAG-AFTRA officials recommend strike after contracts expire without new deal
Hollywood goes on strike as actors join writers on picket lines, citing existential threat to profession
Inside Clean Energy: What’s a Virtual Power Plant? Bay Area Consumers Will Soon Find Out.